Skip to main content

Reply to "156 pitches"

Stepping up and calling it what it is, is not parent maddling. Any coach that leaves a kid in to throw 156 pitches deserves to hear it from not only the parents of the kid that is pitching but from anyone else. As a coach it is also part of your job to take care of the kids. Look the bottom line is you play to win. But you have to care more about the safety of the kids and the well being of the kids than winning a game. We faced a kid the other night in a conference game. We did not have to have the game because we are 11-0 in conf and way ahead. The team playing us is in a dogfight for the #2 or #3 seed. They put a left handed soph on the hill and in the 6th and tight game he has thrown 144 pitches. He is all over the place and walking alot of guys and 3-2 on everyone. They make some nice plays in the field behind him with 2 and 3 on all night. So the game is close even though the kid has walked a ton and thrown alot of pitches. When we come in for the bottom of the 7th down 9-7 we notice that the catcher is now pitching after catching 6 innings and the game is now 3 hours long. He walks the bases loaded and then we get a ground ball that should have been turned but they make a wild throw to first. They eventually walk in the winning run and we win 10-9. After the game the father of the kid that threw 144 pitches comes over to me and says "Congratulations coach I hope you guys do real well in the playoffs. By the way I hated to do it but I went over to the coach and told him my son had thrown 144 pitches and he needed to think about taking him out". I told the dad that his son should have been taken out in the fourth when he hit 90 pitches. And I told him he needed to stand up for his kids well being if the coach was not going to do his job and do it himself. JMO