Skip to main content

Reply to "17 Year old Senior with 94MPH Ball Exit Speed"

Originally Posted by EdgarFan:

It's really good, especially in a static tee test with wood.  You should really check the link NYdad2017 posted, it's a discussion that is active right now just a couple threads down.  There are plenty of links to current averages and high end measurements (all of which would show your brother to be an elite level hitter for this measurement).  I will say that the link that Rob T posted is from 2010, and may very well pre-date BBCOR bats, but I agree with everything else he says.  I think some of the other reported ranges from the other thread might be more up-to-date and accurate, though.

This morning somebody posted a link to an article quoting Gary Ward on how he uses the static tee exit speed in scouting/recruiting, which was really cool and a great addition to that thread.  In that article, Ward said:

"Hitters who are at the 84-87 range are just beginning to develop gap power with the new BBCOR bats. When they are 88-90, they are beginning to have line drive gap power. And when they get into the low 90s, they might have home run power. But they must square up the ball perfectly for that to happen.

"As they reach the 94-96 mph range, they now have home run power. They have the ability to lift some balls out of the park even though they might not have perfect contact.

"When they get to the 96-100 mph range, they can easily carry balls out of the ball park. They have legitimate home run power. Prior to the BBCOR bat, it wasn’t unusual to have a player or two who hit 105 mph balls off bats in the static ball test."

Resurrecting an old thread...Just curious if Gary Ward article a couple years ago referenced a BBCOR bat or wood bat in his static tee evaluation? I would assume 94 mph with wood would translate into 96-100 BBCOR.