Skip to main content

Reply to "17U Travel Ball or just Showcases?"

I would say do showcases for the mere reason is that you are guaranteed to get in front of coaches...unless you are on one of the big name/top notch travel teams that get attention just based on their name.

With the travel team tournaments you may be relegated to one of the satellite fields (i.e random high school within a 50 mile radius) and never see a coach the entire week...yet you are still paying travel team + travel prices/costs.

With the showcases, you are guaranteed to be in front of several (dozen) coaches. However, pick and choose which ones you go to in order to get the most bang for your buck. There are plenty of good options out there besides PG (which are way overpriced in my opinion). Also, contact schools you are interested in before registering to make sure they are actually going to be there and let them know you are interested so they can highlight your son and make sure they watch for him.

We put more of our eggs in the travel team basket and only attended a couple showcases with my son. At most of the tournaments he never saw a coach unless his team got lucky and got scheduled at the main field. All of the interest he got for playing in college came from the showcases and led him to where he is playing now.

With all that said, baseball is a team sport, so he should also be on a team in the summer...even if it is just a legion team. I just would spend more money on showcases than I would for the team he is on.