Skip to main content

Reply to "1983 Pine Tar Game"

quote:
Originally posted by Baseballdad1228:
If memory serves, McPhail did not overturn the decision that the bal was illegal. By baseball rules, in fact, the bat was illegal because the pine tar extended too high up the barrel. He overturned the decision by evoking "the spirit of the rule" perspective that there was no advantage to the batter if pine tar was not within the rule's boundary. Essentially what he ruled was that the pine tar did not assist Brett in hitting the home run.

Yep.."Spirit of the rule"...That's how it went down. It was the craziest thing I ever saw on baseball and Billy putting out that lineup in the continuation of the game out of protest was wild. I was cracking up seeing Mattingly at 2B being a lefty. Guidry on the other hand I thought was brilliant because he was a great athlete and could play CF.

McPhail should've never continued that game. Brett should've been called out and the game over. The rule was in place. Thurman Munson had it happen to him some years earlier and he was called out for the pine tar being too far up the bat. Nettles pointed it out to Martin that Brett had pine tar above the limit and took advantage of it when it might come in handy. I think that ball is still travelling off Brett's bat. Brett hit a couple tape measure shots off Goose. What a great hitter he was. He was the best hitter in that generation. Could hit almost .400 and have to that much power.
Last edited by zombywoof