Skip to main content

Reply to "1st preference home states?"

You are experienced in the recruiting process (via your older son), so none of this is breaking new ground, but from an objective outsider, food for thought:

- Appears from your bio that you are in FL....that, my friend is a "crowded market", so your son may need to promote himself more, further develop or look more out of state

- As Fenway says and has reminded me often, this really is hard work (for the vast majority of families who aren't raising the next MadBum)

- Ask yourself the hard questions, answer them honestly, then the path forward may be clear

1. Does he have the size that these schools desire, or will he be a fallback in case the 6'4", 220lb kid turns them down?

2. How are his grades? (It really does matter, moreso for baseball than football)

3. Does he really project?

4. Are his skills (primarily - but not only - velo if P) trending up and to the right?

5. Is he playing on the right travel team, in the right events? (sounds like he is)

6. Has he attended any individual showcases (or school camps) where he knows the coaches from his target schools will be there, and reached out (aggressively, if need be) to let them know he'd be there?

7. Even if he is a hard thrower, does he display the FB command and movement and quality offspeed pitch(es) that these coaches need to see before they get aggressive?

8, Does he promote himself hard enough and often enough with these coaches (emails, phones calls) to update them on his progress, results and interest?

9. Has he done anything off the field or carry any sort of reputation that would cross him off someon's list? (highly doubt it)

One thing I've learned in a short couple of years is that if he is in PG's top 200, the likelihood that he is unknown or not on people's radar is very slim.  You may have a handful of schools watching, asking about him and you don't even know it. We've all heard of this often; we experienced it this fall....we heard through the grapevine that such and such school saw my son pitch at a big event (but no one there remembered seeing this coach near the backstop, but he was there with specific commentary on son's performance).  No doubt your son deserves more attention if PG thinks that highly of him (or maybe that statement is just a function of how highly I think of PG).

Good luck!!