Skip to main content

Reply to "2 calls in a game that were funny but were also so bad"

OA5...

I dont think we were thinking of that....

I am always disheartened when I hear of these issues that happen, especially those that we consider breakdowns in basic fundamental umpiring mechanics or knowledge...

I believe a basic clinic for the umpires in situation 1 would have cured that issue. Trained umpires are taught NEVER to verbalize fair ball...which was the cause of the problem...

Like Jimmy says in situation 2 any trained umpire would know he could correct that error by rule....

As to Indicators...

I have a HS association that urges both umpires to keep the count and have indicators...it is not mandatory....at higher levels, it is clearly the PU responsibilty and some do not take kindly to a BU using an indicator....

I do not care if they do or not....I do care if all they are doing is staring down at the indicator when their attention should be on the bases... things happen fast above HS ball and that second you glance down or fidget with a wheel could mean a missed balk or pickoff throw.....

I have done many games sans indicator....I find it can keep me focused on the game better....
Last edited by piaa_ump