Skip to main content

Reply to "2 Questions"

If you have dirt build up lips they can get pretty high and if you run the mower over the lips you will simply skim them down to dirt such as I have observed here in Springfield where in particular one field had been unused or badly maintained for two or three years. what I like to do is where it is windy and in the off season in particular is to install a short wind barrier in front of the outfield grass that keeps any blown dirt from getting to the grass at 12 to 18 inches in front of the grass maybe closer on the infield side around the infield and elsewhere where needed,and as was mentioned, to stay away from the dirt and grass with the drag, we have people who rake and broom back and forth in front of mounds to home plate and do so towards and into the grass and back and forth down the base lines.
It takes a little more time but if and when necessary I like to wet the lips down just enough to soften up the dirt underneath the grass and then slice the dirt under the grass and without destroying any grass you can settle the lips down fairly easy by tamping etc. or whichever is the best way each of you have.
Don Ervin.
kom_ervin@yahoo.com