Skip to main content

Reply to "2004 DRAFT"

I respectfully disagree with those who think rankings don't mean anything to college coaches and MLB clubs. In fact, rankings mean a lot more than what even we anticipated.

#1 - Because the rankings come out several times each year and are seen by so many people,they have a way of monitering themselves. If we have a top player left off a state list, we are corrected many times by those who might know that area well. In the end the rankings become very accurate as proven out by the results of the draft.

#2 - We know of some MLB Scouting Directors that order their scouts to check out each and every player we rank in their territory. While we may be wrong, can MLB clubs ignore seeing ranked players. This can be proven by the number of first time ranked players and the amount of interest they get almost immediately following their name appearing in the rankings.

#3 - While it may not insure a player being drafted or receiving a big college offer (that will always be determined by the college or MLB club) It absolutely puts players on a short list of follows. The number of phone calls we take from scouts and college coaches, asking questions about ranked players, again proves this correct.

In the end, you can succeed by not being a ranked player (nobody has them all listed) and you can fail despite being highly ranked. However being a highly ranked player is going to get you every opportunity possible. It absolutely eliminates being missed, or overlooked.

Furthermore, it takes and endless amount of time, effort and money to classify and rank players nationally. I'd hate to think we are no more than entertainment for parents and players. Perfect... NO! Good at what we do... YES. Excuse me if that sounds like bragging.