Skip to main content

Reply to "2004 MSABC Pre-Season All-State Nominees"

Although I feel that many of the players on this list were well deserving, I hope that all of the HS guys out there understand that this list means absolutely nothing in regards to talent.

This list is comprised heavily on players whose coaches are heavily affilated with the MSABC, and also players who have astounding stats. Let me give a prime example of why this is true:

Daryl Thompson (someone I had a provledge of coaching), who was a 2003 grad from LaPlata HS was just recently named the 7th best prospect in the Nationals Organization at the age of 19. He had without doubt the most talent out of any player in the region at the time. He recieved nothing better than All-County first team throughout his HS career, and never made a player of the year, or anything of the sort. He was however a 2003 All-Met after putting up ridiculous numbers his senior year. Thats the only serious accolade he recieved his whole life. But the point I'm trying to make is that he was never accoladed even though he had more talent than everyone he played. He wasn't bombarded by awards and titles and Newspaper picks. He kept below the social radar and it didn't hurt him. Honestly, a college or pro recuiter could care less if you were All-State, All-World or whatever. It matters how you can play the game and not what your stats or newspapers think.

I'd hate to say it but we live in a time where we believe everything we hear instead of seeing for ourselves.

In regards to this year's selections, If we were to take our supposed "All State" team to a tournament and play other "All State" teams, I am 95% sure we would be embarassed. The MSABC has lost its touch and has been engulfed by politics just like every good thing out there.

To Pudge especially, continue to work hard and don't let the small stuff keep you down. Awards mean nothing, its how you play the game.