Skip to main content

Reply to "2009 American Legion State Tourney"

Home run derby tonight. The first several were all pretty legit, but as the game wore on a few scraped the short fences on the way out. I lost count of how many. At least 8 in all. For South Richmond 137, I remember Ayers hit 2, Hauser had 1, Sollars had 1, Cujas had one and a second ball that lined off the fence-top screen to miss being a grand slam by about 6 inches. For Charlottesville 74, there were at least 3 that I remember.

The Charlottesville 74 team came in after scoring 36 runs in 2 games, so they were no slouches with the bats. I recognized a few from the Western Albemarle team that came to James River for state quarterfinals in 2008 (the ill-fated lightning-afflicted game).

I wondered if their starting pitcher was the same guy who pitched for them Tuesday. He showed flashes of pretty good stuff, but in the main appeared to labor and just couldn't command his pitches. He was wild at times and wild in the strike zone a lot. Hence, a 9-run 3d inning, which really took the wind out of 74's sails after a solo shot, 2 E's (one scored a hit somehow) and a 2-out grand slam had put them up 5-3. From there on the only question was whether the game would end early. 15-6 after 7, the bullpen was wobbly but closed it out.

Scary moment for 74's catcher, who really played a great game in terms of blocking balls in the dirt all night. In the 8th he took one in the throat and they had to ambulance him to the ER. I heard as I left that they had a report that he'd be OK.

I don't see how 137 doesn't put it away tomorrow. Morrison hasn't even thrown yet and Ackerman is pretty fresh if needed. On the other side, whoever comes out of that 10 a.m. loser's bracket final is going to be out of pitching. I don't know who could stop 137's bats but it won't be someone using their 8th pitcher or someone throwing a kid for the 3d time in 4 days. I'm betting it's over after 7 and probably a pretty miserable time from around the 4th inning on.