Skip to main content

Reply to "2009 Draft"

Thanks so much to everyone!!! Your kind thoughts and wishes mean so much Smile

Ok... here is my funny or should I say "ironic" story of the day....

I have to be honest, I didn't start following the draft closely until about the 8th round where puma1's son Nick McCully was predicted to be drafted. Nick was drafted in the 9th round by the Cardinals so huge congrats to Nick and puma who are in Myrtle Beach celebrating as we speak! She even provided some Champagne to my son (he is 21) so it has been a great day for all involved....

I have had this feeling of dread since I woke up this morning and my stomach has been upset all day....

Anyhoo... in the 16th round, I called my son and I was panicking and I was feeling terrible for him. I said "Gee, Tyler, I have seen all kinds of kids drafted who I think you are better than and I feel for you. He said "Don't worry keep up the faith" but I think he was putting up a stiff upper lip for me.

All of a sudden I saw two shortstops drafted from non-powerhouse colleges and I looked up their stats and I was like "I cannot believe this???" What and the HELL is going on here! He said, "Dad, go back to work and I am going to go concentrate on something else" OK! and we hung up. At the INSTANT we hung up, (let me repeat for effect) at the INSTANT we hung up, I saw his name show up on draft tracker. I immediately called and said "Congratulations!" He said, "Why?" "I said because you were drafted!" He said, "No!" I said, "Yes" I congratulated him with a few tears on my part and he said he would call me back. I think he wanted to go check draft tracker for himself! He said he has gotten over 100 phone calls today.

The feeling of dread turned to relief for me. I am relieved my son at least gets his shot. I believe he has an average shot. I know how much it meant to him and thus the feelings of relief. And now you know the rest of the story....

BTW, another webster I saw come up was Alex Burg - catcherdad's son. Huge congrats to Alex and family Smile