Skip to main content

Reply to "2009 Draft"

quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
This is a very happy time for some, but we should also remember that there are always a much larger number of people who end up being dissapointed with the results of the draft.

This is a great point. I have received dozens of pms along with the well-wishes in this thread but I was a nervous wreck yesterday. Most do not know for sure if their name will be called. I recall last year the heart-break by baseballreggie when his son went undrafted. The kid was a tremendous college player and deserved a chance to prove himself at the next level imho. Bob Howdeshell's son Andy had a fabulous D1 career and did not see his name called. I'll never forget reading of Bob's disappointment and rightly so imho.

It is a humbling experience. It is humbling when you see kid after kid taken who you think in your mind might be less of a player than the one you hope gets called. For me it was relief not joy.

One BIG piece of advice I can give to youngsters because I now know this to be true for a fact. It takes some modicum of talent to get drafted obviously. Beyond that, HUSTLE every moment on the field with determination on your face. Never show a bad attitude. Those things are noticed!!! They might not be enough to get you drafted, but I know for a fact they can keep you from being drafted. The intangibles are enough to get a scout to notice you in the first place. Scouting often takes place over several years. Never allow a scout to see anything but 100% dedication to winning. If you love the game, then show them with your positive attitude.