Skip to main content

Reply to "2009 recruits"

As a Baylor grad I can personally vouch for the fact that Steve Delporto made a great decision. Great adademic school, great program, weather, facilities,...

Also, if he is better than the next guy he will play, period. Scholarship dollars will make no difference. I've followed Baylor baseball a long time and I can tell you that you could assemble a couple of all Big 12 teams with guys who played for just books. I know nothing of Steve's scholarship situation, but I know that Baylor routinely brings in academic types every year who used to get books as well. With the required 25% rule now kids won't be able to sign a LOI and get that extra perk. But, many have gone on to become outstanding players at Baylor. With the high cost of a Baylor education, these type of kids are often what make your program. College baseball is many times such a **** shoot in terms of bringing in guys you assume will be major contributers. I've seen high dollar baseball scholarship guys not pan out while a 1 percenter or purely academic guy emerges as a leader. It happens and will continue to.

Again, great choice by Mr. Delporto. I wish him luck.

Go Bears!