Skip to main content

Reply to "2012 ALL SED PREDICTIONS"

quote:
Originally posted by SEDbaseball:
quote:
Originally posted by bleedingblue:
I am going to say my piece and be done with it. All this talk about being from a winning team or program to recieve district honors is unfair. Those kids from your lower tier programs work just as hard as those from the upper tier. It should come down to the statistics of that player. ESPN says it right "COME ON MAN"

No question, it should come down to statistics, but unfortunately it appears that that is not always the case. I am curious though, how does one player make 1st team position play and 2nd team Pitcher?? I mean isn't 1st team enough? If there was a 3rd team would he make that as well in a different slot? I could't agree more with bleedingblue in regards to nrrb07's brilliant insight, you win you get rewarded?? I thought for all district selection it was....you produce the stats that beats all the other players, in THAT position....you get rewarded... I didn't realize it was a selection based on your TEAM'S performance, maybe I just don't get it.

I agree with some of your sentiment, but have you considered the following: What if the players that were nominated actually had better statistics? I'm going to suggest that, by and large, they did! Also, a parent, or casual follower, might see a player just a couple times a season. Collectively, the coaches see them all the time.

On the other hand, to support nrrb07 at least a little bit, he is also right in this regard...the best TEAMS do, in fact, have the best PLAYERS! That is why they are better!

I don't think the coaches could have done a better job. The couple of players that were also deserving of recognition simply played at a position where the talent pool was very deep. There are a couple of kids, had they played in any other district, could have been a 1st or 2nd team selection. There is no doubt in my mind. Tough sledding in the SED though, where the top 4 teams were consistently ranked in the Top 5 in Hampton Roads, and Top 10 in the state. And they were regarded as such, because of the very deep talent pool.

It is what it is!
Last edited by GoHeels