Skip to main content

Reply to "2012 World Series"

quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
That is a good point! I thought he pulled up on it too. If he had dove he had a chance to catch the ball and save the game.

I see that a lot, and I do not understand why players that do not dive for balls are playing MLB. It really does bother me when you see players at various levels get serious looks by scouts as they watch balls go up the middle on the ground. They make a faint attempt in show, but will never dive for a ball, yet they are drafted...

This really blows my mind, especially when they are not drafted for their bat, but their glove. What good is a glove if you do not dive for a ball when necessary.

Of course my son dives all over the place and is filthy by the time he leaves a field, so I guess I am biased.

It seems like a totally different mentality at play, and I am mystified why the player that refuses to get dirty gets an opportunity and so many that have the same glove skills, but are also willing to sacrifice their body get overlooked.

If I were a scout, I would weigh heavilly against a player that was willing to let a ball go through the gap when runners are on. To me it is inexcuseable. But it happens all the time.

Do you think it might have something to do with putting yourself at risk for injury???

I know my son dives all over the place too and doesn't feel good about his game unless he's dirty. And he has come up injured from some of the diving, though nothing serious, and sometimes the injury is enough to get in the way of 100% performance in the next game or two. So. . .???