Skip to main content

Reply to "2012 World Series"

One overlooked play was the chopper that Cabrera couldn't make a play on and then Posey hit a two run HR. That doesn't show up in fielding percentage but most ML third basemen would have made the play and that again points out what is wrong with the old way of looking at performance variables. That play or lack of a play was not scored an error but it helped lose the game when any good ML third baseman and all the excellent ones make that play easily. That's also why some of the new defensive metrics aren't kind to Austin Jackson when to the normal eye he looks like a great center fielder. Fielding percentage says he's fine. But he has issues on getting to balls sometimes just like the one that he let drop without trying for it. That stuff is measured in the new parameters. I taught my sons who were both center fielders that you go for that ball in that situation and you block the ball with your body if you don't get it. My son listened because on that same type of play this year in Regionals saved Delta's season with a diving catch in the eighth inning of a tie game with the bases loaded where every bit of his speed and athleticism was needed to make the play. Jackson is at least as good an athlete I would think, so why with his season on the line did he play it so safe and still make a crummy throw. Sometimes that's the difference between ML players and college guys. College guys have to go for it to make the next level, there's no $300,000 losers share waiting and they don't weigh 265 LBs and try to play third base either. The Tigers got a long way on those bats but when the bats were silent, they had no weapons to win close games.
Last edited by Three Bagger