Skip to main content

Reply to "2012 World Series"

quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
quote:
Originally posted by Truman:
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
I found the series to be interesting in that it really showed the differences between how they approach the game. The Tigers offense was built for the long ball for sure. Those big boppers don't bunt.

Look at how many teams went after "big boppers" to help them get to the WS and how far did they get. Doesn't that say that there other aspects of the game that are just as important as "big boppers?"

Did I say that there isn't other aspects of the game. I was just replying that you are not going to see guys bunt that are being paid millions to hit the long ball. When was the last time you saw Albert bunt, Matt Holiday, or Texiera?
That's not the intention when they put together that line up.

I'm not saying you were saying there isn't other aspects. . .only pointing that out, and I agree with you and understand players have certain offensive rolls. The Tigers had a lot of those kinds guys and it's a big part of what got them to the WS. But IMHO I think the team was a little too heavy that way making them, for a lack of a better way to put it, too one dimensional. AND, I think the down time waiting to play in WS was a detriment to those guys rhythm for their hitting. You gotta hand it to the Giants pitching for coming out of their pitching slump just when they needed to, otherwise, it would have been a VERY different story.

Well, there's a LOT of dynamics other than these issues that was going on and this WS is going to be talked about for a long time.