Skip to main content

Reply to "2013 MiLB Season as a Parent"

Southernmom - thank you for sharing so eloquently some feelings that I am sure to have at some point in the future.  I am sorry for your son, and glad you can openly share with us.  It is truly a difficult profession, even for the high dollar prospect players I have noticed.

I don't think I have posted in this thread about my son yet this summer.  Been sitting back observing, listening to TPM and swallowing hard, knowing she is right about the back field boys.  I have been waiting for something nice to say.  Ah, the life of a non-prospect, free agent, senior sign catcher from a college championship team - playing on the same team with the first round HS drafted catcher.  It has been a wonderful experience.  It has taught my son what hard work really is.

No one held a gun to his head and said "sign here."  No one said he had to go and play.  It was his decision and he wanted to give it everything he's got, which he has done, and then some. 

I have started calling my son "Lou".  Hey Lou, how's it going?  Hey Lou, feeling okay?  Hey Lou, they treating you alright after the tenth bullpen by 9:30am on a Tuesday morning in 95 degree heat and 98% humidity?  Hey Lou, how's that seeing live pitching for the first time after 6, 9, or even 20 days?  Ready to give up yet Lou?  "No Dad."  Hey Lou, you look tired, everything alright?  Hey Lou, you eating right?  "Shutup Dad, and why do you keep calling me Lou all the time."

I replied - just wanted to get used to calling you Lou. 

It will end someday, maybe next week - this fall, next spring, next August, two years, three years - 8 years.  Yes it will end.  And I can call him Lou. Lou Kingforanewjobsoon?

But from 4 years old to this day - I tell him he has given me every fond baseball memory I will ever need from him.  It is all bonus memory time now.

Goodnight.