Skip to main content

Reply to "2013 MiLB Season as a Parent"

Backstop-17,

I have been kind of laying low this season, letting you all first time/first season parents of players figure it out for yourselves.

Just so that you know, my son is also a free agent, and he is looked upon as just that by his manager,  and also trying to prove that he belongs.  Older but not the oldest, he probably works harder than he has to, but that's what he does, and even an injury won't stop him from working hard every day. 

His game and relief time hasn't turned out as expected, kind of has a back thing going on.  When you are called upon to pitch every 8-10 days (more innings for a month because the other guy whose spot you took over was on the DL after you) you can't stay as sharp without seeing live hittine.  He has had to change his game plan from 4 seam FB  inning guy to 2 seam sinker guy (that also works as his off speed) and is the long reliever when they are in a close/loss situation. 

However,  he has really enjoyed this season more than any with his teammates, who have basically remained  the same (players) through the season, maybe because the team is really made up of lots of free agents (considered non prospects)  and they are in a race for first place in their division for playoffs.

And he is the clubhouse DJ which makes the long days more fun when you don't have much else to do in between outings.

Being on a former championship team,  a winning attitude that your son might bring  to the team, should be recognized. 

Strange as it seems with what he has endured, DK still loves what he is doing.

So I know, I understand, trust me.