Skip to main content

Reply to "2013 Official All-State Awards"

I don't see how Baseball is that different from other sports with respect to picking the team as controversy abounds in other sports too.

Perhaps they need to nominate, pick, and list 1-2 player(s) for each non-pitching position.  Then 2-3 starters, 2-3 relievers, and a closer. It's done that way in other sports isn't it? Won't happen though because every coach wants to see his player get their due. Also most pitchers are also position players, so where do you nominate that player?

Curious - just looking at D1 First Team- where in the "IF" do most of those dual position players play?  Why are there only 2 outfielders?  Are there any SS's?  3B? 2B? Lunn, Donahue, DelSignore, McCarthy, Roberts, and others? all play first.  Moloney does play SS, but it's not what he's known for. Perhaps Seawards plays SS, but could be an OF. I've seen Brown play 2B.  Not sure where Wojciak plays when not pitching. I saw G play OF against BG...  How Nick Reed isn't first team just shows the "respect" (or lack thereof) given to the voice of the coach of South in the process.

Part of the reason I see the baseball list as a farce is because they don't go positionally - they just pick players. Nothing against the players that were picked as they all are deserving of some recognition.  For me, it's the process.  Might be nice to know who is the best positional player as well.  When/if you get to college - you are generally either a pitcher or a positional player.  Kind of like the separation between offense and defense in football in college.

I'd love to hear the argument about which of the *3* catchers on the first team is the best (3 catchers and 2 OF's - go figure!). For the one game I saw the Winni catcher had some really good pop time and a cannon... Again perhaps another case of a coach with less voice than the others.