Skip to main content

Reply to "2013 Official All-State Awards"

Originally Posted by rogerw:

Just my two cents.  In defense of the coaches, these arguments are the same with every sport at EVERY level.  Can someone tell me the year that EVERYBODY was 100% happy with the MLB All-Star selections?  We know this has never and will never happen.  So if the very top level has the same issues, how can we expect high school do any better?

Do high school coaches fudge the facts at times in an attempt to do right by “their guy”?  Probably.  Are there worse things?  Definitely.  How about coaches who don’t care enough to show up at the All-State selection meeting?  Apparently, this happens, and it’s not isolated.  Maybe I’m naïve, but I can’t believe there would be one coach who would miss an opportunity to acknowledge the hard work and accomplishments of any of his players. I know most of the coaches take this seriously, and I commend them for it.  I know you don’t get rich as a high school coach, but to me, when you sign up for this particular job, you are obligated to do as much as you can for these kids, especially the ones who aspire to continue to play this game.  I know some have downplayed what All-State means, but honestly, any recognition for a kid trying to advance to the next level, is a good thing.  If it’s true about South’s coach not attending, give credit to the other coaches who put Nick Reed on the 2nd team. I'm guessing they didn't have to do it, but integrity wins on that front. That said, you have to wonder if this kid could have ended up on the first team had he had a coach who cared enough to go to the meeting and speak as highly of him as some of the other coaches did for their kids.

Apparently, there were other coaches who missed this meeting and have missed it in past seasons.  If attending this meeting isn’t a mandatory part of the job, then something is wrong.  If the athletic directors of the coaches who don’t attend this meeting are taking no action, then something definitely needs to change.

So I understand the bitterness toward coaches misrepresenting the facts to push their kid ahead of someone else who might be more deserving.  Is this wrong?  Probably.  But if we’re being honest, I’ll take that coach over the coach who doesn’t care at all.

The problem I have seen with some of these HS Coaches is once the season is over they shut it down too. There aren't enough of them following their kids playing Legion or Showcase in the fall, and the following year they have the same perceptions or misconceptions about these kids because they haven't been around to see the improvement occurring. Maybe another coach (Showcase) see's him at a different position and the kid flourishes. Many of them do off season strength/conditioning programs, throwing hitting etc. Some of the coaches just don't seem to care what happens after the season is over. It doesn't "Pay" like it but it really is a full time job. My HS coach used to be everywhere there was a Baseball game going on..