Skip to main content

Reply to "2013 Official All-State Awards"

I believe that calling the All-State list a farce, or a joke, or whatever words any of the disgruntled baseball fans choose to use is unnecessary and disrespectful to the coaches and all the student/athletes who dedicate their time teaching and playing.  Unfortunately, there are coaches, and perhaps players, who are more dedicated to the game of baseball, but that is for them to decide when they look in the mirror. I don't want to go to bat for them.  At the end of the day, they know who they are.

Compliments to SNHBBALL in speaking respectfully about his high school coach.  I know there are coaches who do not just collect the uniforms and head to the lake. They are excited about their player's successes and disappointed by their failures. They follow their players progress and encourage their continued participation and preparation in the summer and fall.  They are around and visible and there was nothing better for a young player to see their coach at a game.  We should be praising them. Without this dedication, basketball and football, and soccer would continue to rob baseball of its athletes. I have nothing against the 3-sport athlete, but as I look at the All-State lists, I see many names who compete in the GSBL Fall Showcase League.  Baseball success (and I know that success is always subjective) is requiring a 12 month a year commitment.  I know many kids who have made that choice with basketball and they exclusively bounce the round ball. 

Many of you are right, what position are some of these all-state honorees playing when two are listed?  Yes, there is one true outfielder.  I get it.  One outfielder, Eric Damphousse. He is good and, much to the disappointment of opposing coaches, only a Junior. Alex P. will also be around in  2014, but probably not in the outfield. He plays 1st or third and pitches.   Could he play outfield?  No question.  Kyle Sewards is a middle infielder is he not?  Probably played more at 2nd for Dover. Jake Welch is a middle infielder, correct. Regardless, we still question who's the SS, even mentioning Ryan Maloney as a kid who plays SS.  I've seen him play some 1st base. I don't think he made the list as a SS. Anyway, with no disrespect to the others SS in the state, but your POY is the best. Ethan Joyce is on the list. End of discussion.  I also see the statement, "Not sure where Wojciak plays when not pitching" and I wonder why we are worrying about that.  He is listed as a pitcher and you won't see the big guy with a bat until he gets drafted by the Mets.  Three catchers.  Call one a DH.  They all deserve to be on the list.

But as we continue to question everything, we simply do a disservice to all. I have empathy for all those who have legitimate complaints regarding a coach....there are good ones and not so good ones, but what is consistent is that it is almost impossible to get change through the social networks.  Go to your principal,  your superintendent, the Board of Ed.(maybe that only works in basketball.)

On another note, why not use this forum to discuss the NHIAA and the changes that COULD take place with the Baseball format. I have heard that the baseball coaches and AD's proposed a new format for the playoffs. The NHIAA didn't want to hear about it. Anyway, I'd like to see the state adjust and realign the division format and create smaller conferences inside the divisions.   D1 is too easy for the state....play everyone once, and you can have 2 extra games.   But D2 and D3 have already, unofficially, done that when you play multiple opponents twice.  I looked at those schedules and many teams only play 10-12 teams in their divisions (D3 has 27 teams I believe) and play approximately 6 of those in a home and home.  Sounds good to me.  The natural rivalries are there.  But that question is for those more in touch than I. 

Last edited by mike gasper