Skip to main content

Reply to "2014 Anxiety"

As suggested above, you have to focus on those things under your control and ignore the rest (or at least learn from the rest).  I attended a major tournament over the weekend watching about a dozen players I tutor, then covered a popular showcase event today (over 60 colleges represented) and will be on hand for another showcase opportunity this weekend (100+ college coaches expected).  Speaking to as many baseball insiders as I could, there are common themes a family can embrace---first and foremost, players and parents need to develop a realistic understanding of the student-athlete profile and, from a recruiting perspective, a player's talent will drive that profile.  As I indicated in another post, a one-on-one player evaluation from a qualified baseball source (perhaps several sources) can be critical.  That evaluation may be difficult to initially accept, some feedback can be hard to handle but it is absolutely necessary in order for a family to shape its decision-making in the months to come.  Talent, although the major element of the profile, is not the only factor of course; a family has to consider the eventual college choice from a variety of angles (academically, financially, socially, culturally, logistically, geographically, etc.).  This exercise isn't easy, and a player's profile emerges over time as talent develops (or doesn't), test scores are obtained, a family becomes better informed regarding the process itself, etc.  You need to be patient but very cognizant too.  Finally---as I was reminded of by college coaches over and over again this week---a player has to be proactive, a coach can't recruit you if he doesn't know who you are.  Yes, a special talent can attend a showcase or two and enjoy a meteoric rise to the top of the recruiting charts, it happens year after year, but, for most players, this journey will be a marathon, not a sprint, so buckle up for the ride (lots of bumps, twists, and turns).   

The baseball industry does a great job overall in providing development, competitive, and exposure opportunities but does a less-than-stellar job of educating families regarding the recruiting road ahead.  Poor choices, misinformation, and unrealistic expectations derail many college baseball dreams.  My mantra is simple---think education first, playing opportunity second.  Translation---get the best education you can consistent with your academic credentials and career interests, and attend a school where you can actually compete, go where you are truly wanted!

For current (2014) grads, this summer can bring opportunity, challenge, reward, and enormous disappointment.  A player I worked with several years back had an impressive performance at a tournament in late June, and a Division I school came calling; the player was a fringe Division I player and the planets had to all align---again and again.  The player and his parents were obviously ecstatic over the Division I interest but I cautioned them (based on the student-athlete profile) that the rest of summer would be similar to American Idol---the player had to perform in a major way weekend after weekend to solidify Division I interest.  That didn't happen, it was virtually impossible to expect that, and frustration, anger, etc. followed.  Then at the end of the summer, the player and family, to their credit, escaped their mental funk, turned their attention to schools that were a realistic match, and, almost immediately, a half dozen schools were at the player's doorstep, and the player committed to a Division III program about a month later.

If you have talent, there is a college out there for you, I honestly believe that---it may not be the ACC, SEC, etc., but baseball can be part of your college experience if you target your time, resources, and mindset towards options which offer legitimate opportunity.  Turn down the expectations and regroup.  But don't wait too long before shifting gears since many small colleges aren't sitting back as much as they once did waiting for the big schools to quench their thirst...times are changing, so get in front of that change and manage it to your advantage, or get out of the way.