Skip to main content

Reply to "2014 Anxiety"

Hi Aleebaba.  I am so glad that process is over. The ups and downs were amazing.  I have only a couple of comments now that my son has finished his freshman year in college as a recruited but non scholarship player at a very solid D1 program.  

IT'S HARD.  Next year, you will not be able to help at all and it will absolutely all be on him! Juggling school and baseball left me with new appreciation for my son.  He didn't do it successfully 100% of the time (two problems with classes both stemming from his lack of good communication, perhaps aided my my assistance over the years) but for the most part he did ok.  At good academic schools it's super hard to be an athlete and a ball player.  The thing that I have come away with is that if there was a mistake made in this process (Son very happy with baseball, school not the right fit except he loves the baseball so it works and academically a bit too challenging), it's to really think about your answer if you are considering a school he could not get into on his own merits.  It's a hard life and when everyone around you is focused on academics and you are trying to get to practice or stretching on time after having been in the gym at 5:00am and are falling asleep as you write a paper at 8:00pm and those other kids in your classes already have better habits or more direction academically, it makes everything more difficult.  Best advice I can give anyone is that if your child decides to attend a school known for it's academics, really consider how that classroom stress will affect his college life as opposed to competing in an environment filled with students of similar abilities.  Really, just like baseball....go where he fits in both places, not just baseball.  

Also, let go of as much as you can because you won't be able to help at all when he goes away and he needs to be prepared for that.  On the flip side, it made it a little easier for me to let go when I was no longer apart of the daily updates and grind, oddly I found it to be GREAT despite the fact I missed him very much, I didn't miss getting drawn into the drama and emotion!  It's gonna work out.  I've been where you are and it's gonna work out. Begin to let go and let the chips fall where they may.  You will both be happier.  Best of luck for an excellent summer filled with opportunities.