Skip to main content

Reply to "2014 Anxiety"

Just for the record regarding parenting.  I don't go there! When I was young I was an expert, so I thought.  I now know that was not so then and not so now. My only suggestion is do the best you can.  

This thread is not about parenting IMO.  It is about recruiting and several people on this site have been through that experience.  The thing that gets lost sometimes in these discussions is the talent level of the player we are discussing.  I can say with all certainty that there are players out there that are so talented that many (not all) colleges will want them no matter what the parents do or say. Then there are players with enough talent to play at a given college, that are not worth the grief of dealing with a "helicopter parent".  If the player is border line, the parent can push him up or down in decision making for the recruiter.  Need to understand that most successful recruiters have dealt with many players and parents.  They actually do have a lot of experience with parents.  On the other hand, most parents do not have a much experience dealing with college recruiters or MLB scouts.  

Bottom line, you can look at people here as "knowitalls" or you can digest what is said and do as you please.  Guess I never understood this "old timer" feeling some think exists on this site. We all know there are people out there that are extremely knowledgable that have never posted here.  Their next post would be their first.  I don't think that someone who has posted 500 or even 1,000 posts is what is most important. What might be more important is that they have probably read at least 10 times that number of posts in that same time.  It's pretty hard to read that much and not learn something.  I know I have learned a lot from reading posts on this site.  Whether an "old timer" or first time poster, we can always learn something new from each other. If not... I guess "know-it-all" does fit.