Skip to main content

Reply to "2014 Anxiety"

PG ... Your example appears to me to be one of a kid who is spoiled and pampered. 

There have been many articles written on helicopter parents. The term helicopter is about parents who hover over their kids lives. The parents manage most aspects of their kid's life. The kid doesn't learn to think and act for himself. The parents fight all his battles. The reason the term helicopter parent became such a big deal and garnered attention is the parents of college kids and kids in the working world whose affairs are still being managed by the parents. The parents are calling professors to fight for better grades. They're calling bosses of college graduates to argue for raises, promotions and to have discussions when junior doesn't feel he was treated well by the boss.

Back in 8th grade I asked my son how he did on a class project. He smiled and said he got the second best grade to Mrs. Smith. Even the kids knew Billy Smith wasn't doing his own projects. The work was too mature for a kid. The kid may get an A but it doesn't teach him how to be responsible. 

Last edited by RJM