Skip to main content

Reply to "2014 Anxiety"

Aleebaba I feel your pain, I too am a 2014 dad as well that is feeling the angst and frustration of the recruiting process.  My son was an All-League, All-State OF this past season with quite a bit of interest coming from a few D1s and some more D2s and D3s.

Just as the HS season ended he fractured his wrist (Hamate bone) and missed the first 6-7 weeks of the summer ball season.  He is back now and is just starting to get back to where he was at the end of the HS season, but summer ball is wrapping up in another 2-3 weeks.  Many of the colleges he reached out to showed up to his games only to not see him play.  If I believe what many of his coaches have said – he would have had a number of offers already had it not been for the injury.  To top it off, he too is seeing teammates and players he knows getting their offers/opportunities to play at the next level, which I know is affecting him deeply.

I feel like this initial window of opportunity is starting to close, at least from a D1 perspective.  I realize there is still time and obviously nothing will start to get finalized until November, but again its hard not to feel a little discouraged.

I think I am keeping up a good “game face” and attitude for him during this tough time, but believe me when I say we are going thru antacid like candy in my household right now.

Unfortunately I have no advice nor can I answer your question (What should a parent do ….?), I am only sharing in our mutual frustration, stress and anxiety over the collegiate recruiting process.

The only thing I can say is we are heeding the advice of what many bloggers have said in the past – “change what you can, accept what you can’t.”  My son is channeling his frustration into amping-up his strength and speed training regimen, which we normally don’t do “in-season” but I think it helps him cope.  There is still the Fall scout team/season he plays on and the Arizona Fall Classic in October.  With a lot a hard work until then and a little bit of luck … things will hopefully work out.

Good luck …. keep posting updates on your son’s developments, I trust good news is in the near future.