Skip to main content

Reply to "2014 Anxiety"

The other point that we are side stepping is the plaintive cry, when does the player without big time tools get the love?

It should be understood that not everyone who wants to play in college gets to.  Just like not everyone who wants to be an actor has the good looks to land movie roles.  And 5'10" point guards who aren't very quick don't play in the NBA.  There are some things you need God-given talents to qualify for.  Some of us are pure of heart and we work terribly, terribly hard and it still isn't enough.  It will ever be thus.

For those players, my thought is to enjoy playing while you can and not let the times right in front of you right now speed by you without savoring them while they last.  No matter what your level of ability, the day comes all too soon when you don't get to play any more.  For many that day comes sooner than they would like.  When your son is doing all he can and every objective indication is that it isn't enough, maybe it's time to realize this may be where you are.

I would qualify that by saying, I know nothing of the particular poster's son, these comments are just made as a matter of the general rule of thumb.