Skip to main content

Reply to "2015 Commitments"

The question of whether a kid who just finished his sophomore year should commit is always going to be a case-by-case situation.

For most, it's an option they could only wish to have in the first place.  If you get that option, consider yourself lucky.

For those who do have the option, clearly there are some who are ready and who are getting the offer they wanted/needed.  Others would be well advised to wait and weigh their options a bit longer.

The key is in doing your homework and having the self awareness to know which category you fall into.  Clearly we have seen mistakes made on both ends and as you see more and more early commitments I think you may see more and more mistakes -- probably the same percentage, but of a larger number of players.

But we almost never see a decommitment pushed by the school.  The biggest drivers of decommitments are players failing to do their classroom work, players getting into trouble (DUI's and the like), or players changing their minds.  When players change their minds, it has been my observation that a common problem is that the parents drove the initial decision making too much -- some are always looking for those bragging rights --  and at some point the kid spoke up and said, "But that's not what I want!"

There is a lot of concern expressed over whether committing early hurts the kid by putting him at a college coach's mercy.  That is an interesting theory of what might happen, but in practice we don't see it actually happening.  The bigger risk that's growing is for the college coaches who have money committed out there, position slots filled in their recruiting classes, and then after they've seen everyone else commit elsewhere, they guy they thought they had locked down messes up or just changes his mind.  And then they have a hole in their class and have to scramble to fill it.

My thinking is that if the brakes get put on this, it'll be the college coaches who do it, not the players.  And it probably won't require the NCAA to intervene, either.