Skip to main content

Reply to "2015 Recruiting"

I have a soph that played at a good JUCO last year.  Coming out of high school he was getting offers from D3, D2, NAIA and JUCO's.  He went the JUCO route because he received a full ride and had the option after one year to go to any level.  He is now at a  top 10 nationally ranked JUCO and will likely be a weekend guy.   After this coming season he might go D1, D2 or NAIA. For him it was about playing time, money offered  and options later. 

Second son is at the same JUCO as a freshman , had a couple of D1 offers, but needed mound time and maturity.  He does not have the grades to go to most D2, D3 or NAIA .  A couple of D1 coaches suggested he go JUCO for a year or two.  After that he would likely go to a D1 school ready to step in and contribute.  If he had gone D1 out of high school he would have likely sat on the bench.

Third son is a jr in high school so I am starting the recruiting process with him . He is a very very high academic player that will not consider JUCO.  The  reason is he is being recruited by a few NESCAC schools.  He is an academics first guy.......

The fact  is you have to pick a school that is going to give you what you need.  It could be a JUCO trying to go D2 or NAIA, or a JUCO trying to go D1  or get drafted.  It could be that you want a high academic school .  Just make sure the player is getting what they want and need. Don't squeeze yourself into a D1 if you are not going to play and playing is high on your list. If you want a high academic D1 and low field time then don't expect playing time. But just make sure you get what you need and want , it's a ton of work to go to school and play college baseball at any level.  So once it's over, and it will be quickly at least you can say I got what I needed.

So many players and parents feel that D1 is great.... and some times it is... I have friends and  their  sons play  at Vandy and it's a great exp.   But some D1 programs are terrible and I would rather be   at a  great D2. 

My sons JUCO team beat a good  D2 team the other  night.... there  are  very good  players in JUCO, the NESCAC is full of D1 caliber players, so that tells me that players are  doing what is best for them, and getting what they need, be it playing time, money, academics and so on. 

It seems a lot of folks are hung up on the D1 label..... I can   tell you Delta State would be G'town like a drum..... as an  example.... I think parents need to ask   themselves where can my son go where he is going to succeed..... rather than worry about what another high school parent  thinks about whether jonny is D1 or D2 or whatever.