Skip to main content

Reply to "2016 early draft top prospects"

Mock drafts are simply predictions.  I don't even get involved with the ones we do.  The most accurate mock draft would be based on information gathered, usually from MLB clubs. I do know we don't have to copy anyone else because we actually see most all the players. But mock drafts are just repeating what others that are involved with the draft are thinking. Not many secrets these days.

We spend much more time doing our player rankings.  Those rankings are based on what we have seen and what we really think.  They are usually fairly close to the actual draft but there are some big differences at times. Personally I think just about everybody that ranks players copies that list a little.  After all, it has proven to be pretty accurate over many years now.

The draft doesn't have a lot of surprises in the first round.  But it usually has a player or so not go in the first round that we thought should have. Usually any surprise pick is by a club that has more than one first round pick or an attempt to save money for later round picks.

Also several players simply give unrealistic demands for signing.  That is why you see some highly ranked players being skipped over in the early rounds. Every once in awhile a player is just unsignable, and tells clubs he is going to college no matter where he is drafted.  That is another reason why some highly regarded prospects go late or go undrafted.

Also in our rankings we don't consider make up, but the MLB clubs sure do. We rank kids on talent only.  but we get plenty of calls from scouting departments asking... How's his make up?  We can only answer that question when we really know a player well and have seen him many times. Even then, you never know for sure.

It is too early to know who the first few picks will be.  A lot can happen before draft day.  If I had the first pick today I would pick Jason Groome. But it would be nice to see our home town boy (AJ Puk) be the first pick. All those being considered right now have been to PG events, even those mentioned in this thread.  So however it ends up we will be happy.  Even if we disagree with the pick.