Skip to main content

Reply to "2016 early draft top prospects"

I understand your point, but I also know the Astros graded him better than those writers did.  I mean one of those writers gave him a present 35 as a hitter at LSU. You can't go watch a game and accurately grade a hitter. Hell, there were days when Willie Mays looked like a 3 hitter or worse.

I think his potential as a hitter should be a 7 grade.  I also think he grades better on power.

I agree that the #2 pick should have all star potential.  Also agree there were better tools guys below him.  But I can't think of one that was a better hitter.  I talked to a high level Astros scout and they believe Bregman does have all star potential.

We all know that even the surest bet can fail.  Bregman isn't one of those "wow" guys.  But the reward could be very substantial and the risk is relatively low.  His make up can't be over looked.  If the Astros would have selected someone else, I think Bregman would have gone in the next couple picks.  Anywhere in that range teams are looking for a future all star player.

I don't mind going out on a limb, because I've been wrong before. I think Bregman will chase a batting title and hit 20+ HRs and be an above average defensive player in the Big Leagues.