Skip to main content

Reply to "2016 early draft top prospects"

PGStaff posted:

The difference between the first pick and the third pick is about $2.5 million.  The reason he has been suspended is a technicality in the NJHS transfer rules.  So that sure isn't going to hurt him.  But not throwing in a game for a month at this time of year could cause a team to choose someone else that catches fire.  I wouldn't rule out Puk either. Last year at this time he was suspended for climbing a crane.  Two month later he was the favorite to be the first pick this year.

Truth is, If I were responsible for making the first pick, It would be easy, I pick Groome.  He is the best HS pitching prospect we have seen in a long time.  And we have seen just about all of them. When we see a 16 year old lefty that is about 6'6", throwing mid to higher 90s with a plus breaking ball and the best command ever and it all comes out of the most effortless delivery you will ever see.  Pretty hard to beat that package.  Though you can't ignore what Riley Pint is doing.

IMO, this is a very good year for HS hitters. And there are some other excellent arms, too.

I don't think that month will cost him much if anything. even if someone catches fire the Scouts who draft HS guys probably look for Tools more than anything else and even with the month missed he still throws upper 90s. even if someone hits 10 HRs or throws two no hitters in that month the Scouts still will think that groome and pint are the best Players.