Skip to main content

Reply to "2016 early draft top prospects"

As expected, things are becoming a bit more dynamic. Reason: there is uncertainty at the top of the draft boards (or soon-to-be-finalized draft boards). Mickey Moniak is a superb player as is Blake Rutherford. Are they 1-1 picks? I don't know, you don't know, no one knows, which leads to the question "So what's going on right now?"

Teams are trying to attach dollar figures to each pick, attempting to shave dollars from the higher potential picks so as to increase their budget at the lower levels. So since there isn't a clear 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc., war rooms are discussing value, i.e., if we can get player X for 25% less than a slightly higher ranked player, then player X moves ahead. And that's what's happening right now with the players in the top 10(!). As a result, you may see a so-called dark horse move up and get selected.

Delvin Perez: BA reported PEDs. Lord knows what's behind this. It could be conscious, duplicitous behavior by the player, or it could something as benign as a sinus medication not found in the US. I'm withholding judgement until more is known. Either way, he'll still receive a ticket off the island: too much talent.

Groome decommitted from Vandy and committed to Chipola CC, clearly as a statement to prospective clubs. Maybe it works, or maybe it completely backfires.