Skip to main content

Reply to "2016 early draft top prospects"

"Manage" might be a better term than "trick".  The team picking #1 may not really need to #1 player on the board so forcing them into a fixed bonus would seem overly strict.  I do wonder who came up with the minimum 40% offer so as to get compensatory pick if not signed - not sure why this isn't 60% or greater.  Knowing Boston took Groome, I was interested in who they took in round 2 - you can see that they reached down and according to reports picked a below slot kid so they could he fund Groome - I guess the thinking is that they will need to offer above the $3.2 million slot value, but I'm guessing they might not be able to go too far over $4 million unless they lowball picks 3-10.

I think there has to be some flexibility built into the process or the team picking #1 needs to be able to "sell" that position to another team that wants to shell out $9 million for some guy.  Speaking of bonuses, I'm taking bets on the highest bonus this year.  I'll start off with an over/under at $6.5 million and I'll take the under.