Skip to main content

Reply to "2016 early draft top prospects"

I'd like to see the player deserving of the $9 million for first pick.  Or for that matter, 7.8 million for #2 or $6.5 million for #3.  So far, me and BACDORSLIDER have taken the under $6.5 million for any pick.  If each of the top 3 get $5 million, then those three teams will be $8 million below slot  I think the slot values are more about funding a bucket of money as opposed to strict bonus recommendations.  For backing into the #1 pick, the Phillies get $9 million added to their bucket and no one ever expected them to pay $9 million to their #1 pick.  It helps to get the #1 pick, but it also helps fill up the bucket so you can make some additional moves throughout the draft.  Then, there are the signability issues later in the draft.  If some high school kids says he wants $2 million, but folks really think he might sing for $1 million, then where do you pick this guy?  You stash away a little slot money and when you get to 7th round (slot vlaues go below $200k) you draft and offer the $1 million.  If he doesn't sign, then you loose out on <$200K for bonuses but you avoid losing out on $1 million if you tried to grab him in the 2nd round and failed.  With a fixed value, the signability kids would quickly get passes over.