Skip to main content

Reply to "2016 - Rest of Summer and Fall Plan Questions"

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

Welcome to the site.  What are his grades like?  If he is high academic with high GPA, he is a likely good fit for D3 but if not, he may be more suited toward NAIA.  Also, D3 has no athletic scholarship $ but NAIA does.  Both can provide good academic $$$.  There are some very good (and not as good) programs and leagues in both. Be sure to put appropriate weight on the academic aspect, preferred major and the many other factors in choosing a school that will be a match and not just baseball.  I'm sure you are but didn't see any references in your OP.  Also, be sure to try and have meaningful contact with coaches before attending school camps.  This can give you a good indication whether to spend the money and go before you do so. Without this contact, you are likely to find yourself wasting time and money.

There are tons of posts here that you can search as well as guidelines that will help assure you are taking the right steps.

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/recruiting_tips.htm

Thanks for your reply and for the link.  I have been going through some of those - lots of info to look through!  

His grades are good but not great - same with his test scores.  He does take AP courses and did very well in those.  He's probably not the highest level D3 academics wise but he's a good student.  He's also nationally ranked in another sport that he just started last year (it's an olympic sport with no college scholarship opportunity) so he has a full plate that may have taken some time away from studies.  

I did a quick search on NAIA schools and most seemed to be outside the NE.  We've been focused on him being in the NE or close.  Are their NAIA programs in the northeast that I missed (that you are aware of)?