Skip to main content

Reply to "2017 grad great grades"

Bigbigote in CO posted:

He has been on varsity for 4 years 3 as a starter at short stop.  This year he will pitch and play outfield due to losses of personnel in those areas. He can play 3rd 2b and catch if needed.  He has been to Atlanta for the East Cobb invitational, Ft Myers PGsuper 25 and the Junior sunbelt classic in McAlister. Each college camp we've been to he has been in touch verbally with the recruiting coordinators and tried to get a response after but it seems more like college camps are coaching fund raisers. He is 6 ft and 175lbs hits with ferocity to the alleys or off the fence he hits 329 in school and higher in the summer.  His HC involved with him in recruiting but believes he should be looking for the academic side with his grades.  He plays in Aurora Colorado and really fit in well at all the college camps just killing the ball. So its not just a high altitude thing.   We will check into the reds Area code team. He is currently awaiting news from Notre Dame about a full academic scholarship through the hispanic studies dept. He is 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Mexican and Bilingual.   

Thanks for the response.   This is helpful and you got some very good responses in the subsequent posts where I find I have little to add.  From what you've posted, I'm left with the feeling that your son is a talented player, but seems to be just short of what programs like those you mention in the PAC12 are looking for (and as mentioned, how hard they can be to get in just on academics).   JUCOs and D3's have been mentioned and are excellent ideas and a lot depends of what your son's priorities really are (e.g. baseball vs. academics).  I know from closely watching some of my son's former teammates go through similar situations that it's NOT over until its over; that there can be some very last minute opportunities presented.  For example, a very close friend of my son's was not getting any interest from anyone (somewhat like you've mentioned) and he kept bugging/communicating with a lower level D1 school and talking with the HC about his plans to walk on.  Then that summer just before he was about to head off to the college, the coach from that college contacted him with confirmation that he's accepted on the team and not be a "walk on".   But one still has to keep in mind that players are ALWAYS competing for a position on the team and there are really no guarantees (unless the player has accepted a baseball scholarship, and that doesn't guarantee he'll be playing much either).  So, encourage your son to keep battling to the end to get what he can and be persistent in communicating with coaches even if he's not hearing much if anything back from them.  It always helps to show he has a strong interest in the baseball program.  A lot can still happen between now and the end of this summer.  

Sincerely, my best wishes for your son.