Skip to main content

Reply to "2017 Spring High School"

3and2Fastball posted:

Better to sit the bench as a freshman and work hard and gain as spot in the future than to just get cut, though.

A majority of high school players that I've seen don't really work that hard at the game.  They barely do anything outside of team practices and if they do it is usually just some lazy batting practice.

The kids that do work really hard end up being the starters, the difference makers, and the ones that get a shot at continuing to play after high school.  It really is a pretty simple formula.

I would maintain that even in Baseball hotbeds, any kid with a reasonable amount of athletic talent can outwork their peers and at the very least be a role player on a high school team.  It is a matter of wanting it bad enough and good old fashioned work ethic.  And I just shake my head at the lazy kids, and the parents of lazy kids, who don't put in the work and then wonder why they sit the bench or get cut.

3and2, it was an interesting JV year for sure. I can honestly say I didn't see lazy kids.  There was some insanity going on...if it didn't work the first 5 times not sure why they are still trying it...and there was some inexperience in the coaching staff.  

A great coach can turn a mediocre team into a winning team.  A bad, but well meaning and confused, coach can have a lot of wonderful pieces but if he doesn't know how to use them the team doesn't do well.