Skip to main content

Reply to "2017 Spring High School"

3and2Fastball posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

JV is about development.

You know for a fact that none of the kids were/are lazy?  Everyone of them is working on Baseball 3-4 times a week outside of team practices & games?  Working on swing mechanics and fielding techniques?

Nope, no outside baseball apart from the school.  Batting cages are open, they all had a code, but no travel ball and no private lessons from January-April.  Head coaches rules.

Yeah, OK.  But my point is they need to put in the time on their own.  Not at Travel Ball or lessons, on their own, working on their hitting and fielding, getting their reps in outside of team practice.

A vast majority of the players that are playing high level D1 or getting drafted were doing that in high school.  They didn't get to where they did just from "talent".

It is one of the things that drives me crazy about high school players.  Here's just one example:  a friend of mine's son started on Varsity at Shortstop as a Junior, made a bunch of errors, got moved to right field.  Dad is complaining to me about how the kid doesn't get enough Grounders at practice and how could the coach expect him to do better if he isn't getting the practice reps.  

I'm thinking, well how many grounders are you hitting him after practice?  How bad does he want it?  Baseball is a skill sport, requires lots of reps.  Now as a Senior the kid is playing 1B

My kid basically admits HS practice is essentially a waste of time.  Very inefficient.  So I agree you need to work on your game outside of practice.  I am just not sure when.  Monday thru Friday is school and then either a practice or game.  If practice he may be home by 6:30-7.  Game day will be after 8-8:30.  It's still getting dark by 7:30, so outside isn't doable, yet.  And weather is still an issue.  Getting to an indoor facility is expensive and closes at 9.  They don't let the kids stay at the high school -- everything is put away, locked up and they have to vacate.  So realistically, all you have is Saturday - after the game and Sunday.  We make due, but it's not like everyone has a practice facility outside their back door.  It's a challenge.