Skip to main content

Reply to "2017 Spring High School"

Colorado. We're closing in on the playoffs. 32 team format. First two rounds are single elimination in 8 pods. The winners move on to a double elimination tournament. We're still dodging snow. We moved our Friday game to today because 2-5" of snow is forecast for Friday. 

On a personal note, mys on gets the start in what is, in effect, the conference championship. It was supposed to be #1 vs. #2 in the state between two 15-1 teams before our bitter rivals fell twice last Saturday. Now it's #1 vs. #4. 

My 2018 has only recently returned to the mound. He'd been sidelined by a lower back problem we thought was due to a bulging disc. As it turned out, while he does have a slightly bulging disc it's nowhere near the pain. After some mechanics changes, the pain is gone and he's itching to go tonight. 

Funny story is that we recently switched chiropractors and he saw immediate improvement. But the story behind this guy tells a lot about what it's like to play in a small town atmosphere. The team we play tonight is our school's fiercest rival going back 100 years - La Junta, the next decent sized town over (about 75 miles away). The new chiropractor is the brother of Mike Oquist, former Orioles pitcher and his nephew, Mike's son, will be the starting pitcher against my 2018 tonight. So, when he put my son on the table, I had to ask the guy if we could trust him this week. Gotta love small town good, clean, old fashion hate.