Skip to main content

Reply to "2017 Spring High School"

LivingtheDream posted:

...He's getting some press this spring from PBR and a couple of the local fall ball teams but to my knowledge is only hearing from one school.  Which is the one he contacted because they are his lifelong dream school.   If it works out for him that will be great but as a parent I am extremely nervous about him putting all his eggs in one basket.  We've had multiple conversations about his need to reach out to more schools but he is stubborn.  Honestly if an offer doesn't materialize from dream school he will probably go juco in hopes to still make it there eventually.  If anyone has advice on how to get a kid to open up their options I am all for hearing it.  Nothing we have said so far has sunk in. 

When my 2012 was going through the process, sometimes with this type of issue, I kept an eye out for relative stories and scenarios with players, coaches and teams he had some connection with who may have just dealt with the same.  Often, it was stories from here on HSBBW.  In many instances, that helped.  It wasn't just "advice from dad".  I KNOW there are stories here in the archives about kids getting shafted because the put all their eggs in one basket.

Unfortunately, the kids often do have to experience it for themselves before they learn the hard lessons.  But they only get one shot at this so steer them toward as many tools of information as you can.

If yours is a 2018 also, he will likely rub shoulders with other kids going through similar recruiting challenges this summer.  That makes for great relatable events that he can hopefully learn from.

I agree with KandFunk... they have to lead the process.  But nothing wrong with "hey, look at this cool rock you can look under".

Last edited by cabbagedad