Skip to main content

2017advised to give up football

Seeking advice and input.  Information on my son:

2017, 6' 2"- 275lbs, RHP/1B

Threw 82-83 last year at showcases, picked up at least 2-3 this year (no gun yet) so say 85-86, good movement on all pitches, been told by several college coaches he can really spin it, always had + curve, working on slider (very good to hanging meat right now) solid 4 hitter and 1B but been told he's higher level PO recruit, obviously no speed but smart enough to get around the bags.  Rarely sees any fastballs near the plate.

football- moves very well for size, probably D1 FCS to D2 recruit. Strong- 500lb+ squat and deadlift, 275 bench, big arm span

He'd prefer to pitch D1 over anything.  He likes HS football and if he ended up with a better offer for football then baseball he might go that way. The issue now is his baseball orginization is telling him he would be wise to give up football and focus on baseball.  The training is different for both and they also feel he should attend some fall events down south which is impossible with football. I respect their opinion as they put 20-30 kids in college from D1 to D3 every year.

I'm torn because I don't want to hurt his baseball recruiting but I'm not sure it's wise to pull the plug on football before his junior year.  Any input would be appreciated.  

Original Post