Skip to main content

Reply to "2017advised to give up football"

To be clear my son enjoys both football and baseball.  He's also practical enough to be concerned when someone he respects suggests he could be hurting his chances of reaching his highlest level of baseball by playing both sports.

My major issue here is the decision now as a sophmore is based on alot of projections.  In baseball I hear from multiple coaches that he should be able throw low to mid 90's.  In football I hear he has all the potential in the world if he can hit 6' 4" he's top D1.  Honestly I have no idea if any of this will actually happen. 

I played both through HS and have incredible memories. I really struggle with my son giving up any of this based early projections.  He works out for both sports but always has a baseball slant.  I guess I'm hoping he can do enough in the summers to impress that fall won't matter.  Maybe I'm naive but if he throws 90 with a sharp breaking ball and command he should be able to find a top baseball school even if he plays football.  Injury is always a concern but I know he will always be playing something regardless of season so that chance is always present.