Skip to main content

Reply to "2018 D3 Brackets"

JDUBSDAD posted:

Thanks for linking to the webcam.  I haven't seen much DIII baseball and was interested to see the level of play, size of the players, etc... to compare to what I have seen in our area (DI, DII and HS).   Watching the Texas-Tyler/Oswego game, the hitting looked pretty strong, but hard to tell about the pitching without knowing MPH.  Anyone know what MPH the pitcher's were sitting at or the average for a DIII pitcher's FB?  Also, I'm not sure if it was due to the video quality, but the players appeared to be smaller (height and weight) than most of the college players I have seen in our area.  If this is true, is it due to the type of player typically recruited to the DIII schools or a product of the strength/conditioning programs available at the different NCAA levels?    BTW, congrats to all of the forum members that have kids playing in college.  I would love to see my 2022 out there someday.

Not sure about today's games, but I'm guessing that the majority of D3 pitching is in the 80-85 mph range (FB). I think there's a pretty close correlation between general athleticism and the college baseball hierarchy (top D1 through bottom D3). D1 guys are probably taller at most positions; taller corner OFs and corner IFs, taller pitchers. D1 guys in general probably weigh more, too. More muscular. You won't see many skinny position players in high level D1 baseball. I'm sure strength and condition programs plays a role, but I think it's mostly genetics. Most kids could spend 8 hrs/day in the gym and never develop a physique like Jonathan India.