Skip to main content

Reply to "2018 draft stat"

old_school posted:
Shoveit4Ks posted:

1. Not every family is prepared to send their kid to college financially.

2. Not every family is rolling in the dough and can afford to pass up  the draft money

3. Not every player is prepared to become a man at 18. I consider a kid in college becoming a "Man-Light". Before anyone comments, mine did this and grew up across the 3 years there. 

I'm sure this has been posted but here it is again (its older data but i bet it holds):

https://d1baseball.com/analysi...aft-study-1996-2011/

Great post, the value of money is a variable based off what you have, need and desire.

1M to some is life changing, to others it is just a data point. Keep in mind you are seeing 1/2 after taxes, you need 2m to see around 1m, that changes the math dramatically.

I can tell you I would have pushed hard for my 18 yr son to go to college. Life in the minors would have destroyed him, he had his struggles with his first semester but battled through and had a nice year. Living alone in some dump apartment in whatever rookie ball town he would landed in - Wow that would have been ticking time bomb. He would have failed...and accomplished nothing. That isn't an insult to him that is just the facts, this coming year he may have been ok, much changes in the 12 months from start of Freshman to Sophomore year. I have seen that in person.

I do think teams understand who are really interested in going to school or not. There is no way they just waste a pick in the top 5 or even 10 rounds if they don't believe they have a high chance of getting the kid.

Some organizations are good about placing younger players in homes with structure and guidance like in college summer programs. The Red Sox even place younger AA players in family’s homes.