Skip to main content

Reply to "2018 draft stat"

MidAtlanticDad posted:
Florida State Fan posted:

I did not know that after the 10th round there is no signing bonus.  I know someone who was drafted in the 11th round but didn't see a bonus attached to his name.  Awesome pitcher with electric stuff and awesome person and family.   Am I correct? 

Each pick in the first 10 rounds has a slot value. Each team can spend up to the combined total of their slot values without paying a luxury penalty (they don't have to pay each guy their individual slot value). They can also pay their round 11-40 picks up to $125K each in bonus without paying the luxury penalty. Anything above $125K for an individual counts against their total allotment, so they don't do that very often. Here's an example of what the Indians paid in bonuses last year.

https://www.letsgotribe.com/20...picks-signed-tracker

Everyone hasn't signed yet, so there may not be a dollar amount listed.   It's a waiting game to see who at the top signs for what amount to see if there is any/how much money is left over for the 11-40 round guys.  Keep checking.  Sometimes deals are worked out before the draft to go in later rounds for more money than $125k,   just as you see some $5k-$10k-$25k bonus guys in the 7-10th rounds (usually seniors with no other options).