Skip to main content

Reply to "2018 draft stat"

old_school posted:
roothog66 posted:

As to the thought that a million only becomes $500-600k after taxes...that's 8 and 1/2 years of income for the average American family...on the low end...before taxes.

but compared to the earning power of degree from say Vandy or UVA it is not much money at all...hence why it was stated that the value of money is a variable. 8.5 years go very fast and a kid who crapped out of baseball and is now digging ditches or is a small town lawyer obviously has limited his lifetime earning power tremendously.

I honestly don't know the average household income for a family but I don't think it is relative in terms of a country. the costs of goods varies by similar amounts to the wages in a local area. Supply and demand and all that kind of stuff....plus the demographics of sport come into play.

IMO a college Jr needs to take the money and run, he is mature enough to finish remaining degree if he chooses.

A HS kid who considers himself a student needs to bank 7 figures or damn close to it or he should go to school.

I am always in favor of everyone paying less taxes...it makes for the best minor league!

It is not my position that it's a bad idea to pass up the money, just pointing out that it's funny how cavalierly we treat a half million after taxes. Median family income in US is around $59K and the avg. is around $71K.