Skip to main content

Reply to "2018 draft stat"

bacdorslider posted:

Everyone's situation is different.   2018 had a number and if a club hit that number , he would have gone and we would have supported him  with housing , vehicle, insurance, cell phone just like I did the other sons while they were in college.   

While he could have agreed to what some would feel was a steep number, and went to rookie ball,  you have to factor in many variables some of which have been listed in this post.  Frankly,  600k  is a lot of money to me....  but when you compare it to the scholarship dollars he is receiving at Vanderbilt,  and future earning potential for life, 600k is not that much. 

I know the MLB scholarship fund is sold to players but think about it.  What is going to mature you as a person and allow you to find out who you really are and who you want to be?  Going to Vanderbilt ( or similar )  at this point and time in your life when you are 18-19  or going to low level pro ball with little supervision?   

maybe for some low level pro ball would make you "grow up fast"  but for me I would rather see him continue to improve as a person and a player as well as start working towards his degree.  

For instance, Vanderbilt allows all former players to return to school and if you are still playing pro ball you have your own locker, shower and so on.  2018 is already enrolled in a summer class with another incoming freshman pitcher from Ga.  They will start with the trainer and nutritionist working out on campus this summer and the class will lighten his class load next spring.  Not to mention the facilities , and perks..... charter flights, expense account

So in this case we feel he is setting himself up for not only a shot at the 2020 ( draft eligible soph)  or the 2021 draft but also a worthy degree and shot at Omaha....   then go into pro ball and basically skip the low levels,  and if he's good enough , pro ball will work out, if not  the degree could be worth 200K or more  for life.

I mean he's not going to the MLB in 2-3 years anyway ( if ever) so why not spend that time at college?  2018 got a text from a friend who did sign took the money and is already in rookie ball.... he's not so impressed with it.

With ya all the way, BDS, until the "then go into pro ball and basically skip the low levels".  VERY rare in my limited experience.  We had a guy drafted top of the second with a seven figure signing bonus.  Just like many others in his situation, he started in rookie ball and in year 2, is in advanced A despite decent success.  Seems like even very good P's drafted high still go through at least most of the levels and 'the process".