Skip to main content

Reply to "2018 HS Baseball season"

We played our conference championship game yesterday. Ours is the only conference in the state at any level split into divisions. Despite being ranked #1 in the state in the polls and in the rpi, we could only secure a first round district host spot by winning the championship game vs. the Western division champs, so, five hours into the mountains we traveled.

For whatever reason, our HC didn't really give our opponents the respect they deserve despite them being a top 10 ranked team. He decided he's start our #2, have him pitch a couple of innings, and then go to dalton for two innings, and so on down the rotation since we wouldn't be playing for a week after this. That almost backfired as our #2 struggled uncharacteristically and got us in a 5-0 hole by the end of the second. Meanwhile, they had a lefty on the mound shutting us down. We finally brought dalton in starting with the third and he threw five innings of no-hit shutout ball to give us a chance. We had scratched back to within one run, but still, entering the seventh, we were down 5-4 when our three-hole hitter bailed us out. He smashed an 0-2 fastball off the scoreboard at about 385' for the win. I'm attaching pictures from the at bat. It was a no-doubter from the swing. I honestly cried when he hit it and not because of the win-loss component, but just because I know what this kid may not realize for a decade or more - many people will live their entire lives without ever having a moment that can bring you this kind if joy. 

Dalton continued his great season. He finishes the regular season having thrown 33.2 innings and still given up only the one hit. An era of .042 with 80 K's. His opponent batting avg. is .010 (hitters are 1-for-100 against him). Let's hope that continues in the playoffs starting next Saturday.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Jacobs GS